Liza Campbell is a London-based artist, born in the Highlands of Scotland and raised at Cawdor Castle.
Campbell takes found etchings printed on silk and paper and antique photographs, and then re-works them using ink and acrylic in bright, psychedelic formations. Her re-working, which she defines as 'tinkering', 'intruding' and 'attacking', is also felt in the way that she re-titles each work, a sardonic quip written across the bottom of each engraving in the artist's hand, each one-liner humorously re-contextualising the image.
Moving to London aged 17, she studied Art at Chelsea College of Arts, before relocating to a remote island off the coast of Kenya. It was here that she encountered soapstone engraving, and began studying this traditional African craft in the context of her own work.
- A Gemini with Instability Rising, 2017
- Cooler Than Shit, Wrong As Fuck, 2017
- Dr. Jellyfish at the Slumber Party, 2017
- His Grace Hath Forgotten His Safe Word, 2017
- I Can't Take Him Anywhere, I Apologise, 2017
- I Wish Someone Else Would Follow My Dreams, 2017
- It's Always Room Temperature, 2017
- Seems Legit, 2017
- Something Was Up at Number 43, 2017
- Spiralised Bureaucracy, 2017
- The Boogie Woogie Bugle Boys of Company B, 2017
- The Drawbacks of Factory-Farming Spirit Animals, 2017
- The Dung Beetle's Dream II, 2017
- The Limitation of Factory-Farming Spirit Animals II, 2017
- There's a Party This Friday In a Forest Near You, 2017
- You Are Not the King of The Gypsies Clive, You Are My Accountant, 2017
- If Any of You Rich, Athletic Men Are Looking For A Drunk, Out of Shape, Psycho, Here I Am
- If You Are Sitting Comfortably, I’ll Tell You The Horrifying Tale of Dale Belcher
- Please Whisper, I’ve Had a Hard Day Collecting Acorns, Searching For Spiders And Watching Slasher Movies
- Please, Do Join Us, We’re Sharing Some Vivid Memories of A Revolting Carp Dinner